The Vodka Sunrise is pretty much the Tequila Sunrise’s Russian, raging brother. In another way, you could also think of it as a cousin of the Screwdriver, simply replacing the orange juice with a healthy amount of grenadine.
The colour of a frosted sunrise, with gradations of red, orange, and a pale peach beautifully exemplifying the transition of sky colours at dawn, the Vodka Sunrise is definitely a looker. It is a very tasty drink and is also surprisingly light on the alcohol, even though the name might lead you to believe otherwise.
So, those who prefer lighter drinking are sure to adore it and drink it often. This cocktail is a great choice for any occasion and any time of the day, particularly at events and gathering where you would rather have your wits about you but also want to enjoy a good buzz in the process. Alternatively, those complaining that the drink is not strong enough for them, can simply double down on the Vodka as desired.
The recipe is a great alternative for Tequila Sunrise lovers to try, and the perfect replacement for those who are not a fan of the Tequila Sunrise but enjoy the flavours that grenadine adds to a drink. The Vodka Sunrise goes particularly well with brunches, breakfasts and generally is a good drink for the first half of the day.
- 150 ml Glass Orange juice
- 45 ml Vodka
- 30 ml Grenadine Syrup
- Freshly squeeze orange juice
- Add ice to a cocktail shaker
- Add to that the Vodka and orange juice and give it a good shake
- Strain into a highball glass
- Slowly add the grenadine so that it sinks to the bottom. Do not stir
- Add cherry to the drink and garnish with an orange wedge
- 1 Slice or Wedge of Orange (for garnish)
- 1 Cherry (for garnish)