This drink is another variation on an Old Fashioned Recipe, which is the inspiration for a whole range of cocktails like the Maple Old Fashioned or the Desert Rose. A traditional Old Fashioned is characterized by soaking a sugar cube in bitters, then adding whiskey. Over the years, people have toyed with the alcohol, the bitters and the sweetener, creating great (and not so good) new varieties.
A concoction qualifies as a variation on the Old Fashioned if it mixes sugar, bitters and alcohol – in any weird and wonderful combination you can think of.
The Treacle starts with the same soaking of the sugar cube, but then branches off into a whole new world of flavour. It uses rum instead of whiskey, then floats a measure of apple juice on top. As you can imagine, and discern from its name, the Treacle is rather sweeter than your grandfather’s Old Fashioned.
If you can find it, use fresh-pressed apple juice for a thicker texture and more intense apple flavour.
Here’s the recipe for making a Treacle Cocktail:
- 60ml Spiced Rum ( Black Magic )
- 1 sugar cube
- 2 dashes of aromatic bitters
- 15ml apple juice
- Orange peel garnish
- Place the sugar cube in the bottom of an Old Fashioned glass.
- Soak it with 2 dashes of bitters.
- Muddle gently.
- Add ice.
- Pour in the rum and stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Finish by floating the apple juice on top.
- Garnish with a twist of orange peel.
- Old Fashioned glass.