There are many variations of this cocktail, all of which try to replicate an ordinary traffic light with layers of green, yellow and red liquid. Some reverse the order by placing the green layer at the top and the red at the bottom. Others defeat the entire purpose by using different colours altogether. And some of them certainly taste better than others.
If you want the same Traffic Light look in a shot, try using a combination of equal parts grenadine, Banana Liqueur and green Crème de Menthe. Alternatively, try 15 ml of Absinthe, followed by layers of orange juice and cranberry juice.
For now, we’re going to show you how to make a genuine Traffic Light Cocktail, with all the colours in the right order, that is guaranteed to taste as good as it looks.
Here’s what you need:
- 15ml Vodka
- 15ml Coconut Rum
- 15ml Melon liqueur
- 30ml Cranberry Juice
- 15ml Pineapple juice
- 1 fresh strawberry to garnish
- Place three ice cubes in a hurricane glass.
- Gently add the Melon Liqueur, being sure not to splash the side of the glass.
- Mix the Coconut Rum and Pineapple juice in a shot glass.
- Pour the mixture over the back of a spoon onto the layer of Melon Liqueur.
- Rinse the shot glass then use it to mix the Vodka and Cranberry juice.
- Pour this red layer into your glass, carefully using the back of a spoon to stop the layers from mixing.
- Garnish with half a fresh strawberry.
- Hurricane glass
- Shot glass
- Cocktail spoon