This drink is a perfect Autumnal cocktail, mixing the flavours of apple, cranberry and caramel. It’s an exciting fizzy cocktail that is easy to drink and tastes great.
The cocktail was originally created by Sam Hernandez and he added a unique touch of a coconut flake rimmed glass. It may sound an odd combination but we urge you to try it and see what you think. Its flavour mixed with the XXX whiskey, apple liqueur and juices is surprisingly wonderful.
This base of this cocktail is what is known as a moonshine. The term moonshine has a long history starting back in the 1920s when making, selling and drinking alcohol was illegal. Many people risked making illegal alcoholic substances in the dead of the night which would be smuggled past the police and sold in surrounding areas. The term moonshine was born due to the fact that all activity happened at night under the light of the moon. Moonshine is alcohol made from corn meal, sugar, yeast and water. The difference between moonshine and the whiskey you can buy in shops is that moonshine hasn’t been aged, therefore it has a clear colour and is very potent. The term and drink moonshine became legal in the US in 2010 and now typically just means a clear and unaged whiskey drink.
This cocktail is luckily 100% legal but still dangerously tasty! Here’s how to make it:
- 60 ml XXX Salted Caramel Corn Whiskey
- 30 ml Berentzen Apple Liqueur
- 15 ml cranberry juice
- 75 ml sparkling apple cider
- Coconut flakes and an apple slice to garnish
- Using the coconut flakes make a coconut rim on a double old-fashioned glass and then fill with crushed ice.
- In a cocktail shaker filled with ice add the whiskey, liqueur and cranberry juice.
- Shake well for 10 seconds.
- Double strain into the prepared glass.
- Fill the glass with sparkling apple cider and then garnish.
- Cocktail shaker
- Double old-fashioned glasses