This tequila-based cocktail is very popular in Mexico, especially in the beach bars. It can be found throughout Mexico in pre-mixed cans or it can be made up by hand. It is built using a tequila base with a grapefruit flavoured soda drink and either simply a lime wedge or a splash of lime juice and a lime wedge. The drink sometimes can be made with fresh grapefruit juice and club soda.
The Paloma is a refreshing cocktail which will definitely quench your thirst and have you reaching for more, it is light and fruity and a great way to introduce your tequila shy friends to delicious tequila cocktails.
We don’t have much fact about the origins of the drink, but it is thought to be named after a popular Mexican folk song called La Paloma. La Paloma translates to ‘The Dove’. Some believe that the drink originated at the famous La Capilla bar in Tequila, Mexico, first mixed by Don Javier Delgado Corona.
When you find that bottle of tequila in the cupboard but are tired of making Margarita’s try this delicious cocktail recipe:
- 60 ml tequila (blanco or reposado)
- 15 ml lime juice
- 210 ml grapefruit soda drink
- Salt – this is for an optional salt rim
- If wanted, prepare a collins cocktail glass with a salt rim
- Fill the glass with ice and then pour in the tequila and lime juice
- Fill the rest of the glass with the grapefruit soda drink
- Collins cocktail glass