When it comes to refreshing summer cocktails, it just doesn’t get better than Miami Vice. As the name proudly exclaims, this cocktail is definitely delicious to the point of sinful, and a Miami Beach favourite – rather, a Miami Beach necessity. The name was inspired by a popular TV series of the same name, however the drink itself is also the most popular in its namesake city.
This frozen blended cocktail is idea for fun in the sun. Its fresh fruity flavours revive the senses in more ways than one, but don’t be fooled by its sweetness, because the rum inside will definitely work its way into your inner party animal. This Miami namesake beverage may be considered one of the kitschier cocktails rather than a true classic. It couples frozen Piña Colada with a frozen strawberry Daiquiri to a great load of rum, which probably implies one hell of an incoming brain freeze before the alcohol can work its magic. That’s what makes it the perfect drink to sip in hot weather.
Miami Vice is probably amongst the most well-known and well-loved cocktails in the States, if not the world over. Although it is a layered drink which requires multiple steps to complete, it is easy to make and easy to perfect. Lovers of piña colada, lovers of strawberry and coconut flavours, or even fans of rum, cannot afford to miss this drink.
Here is the recipe for Miami Vice:
- 150 ml 151 Rum
- 240 ml Piña Colada mix
- 240 ml Strawberry Daiquiri mix
- Add 1.5 scoops of crushed ice to a blender
- Add 75 ml rum to blender
- Add Piña Colada Mix and blend for 30 seconds
- Pour blended liquid into a mixing glass
- Clean the blender and repeat steps 1-4 for the Strawberry Daiquiri mix
- After preparing both frozen ingredients, get a Collins glass or stemless wine glass
- First carefully pour piña colada mix in glass, followed by the strawberry daiquiri mix. Make sure the two don’t mix, so that a horizontal design is created. Layer according to choice
- Add garnish of slice of pineapple or cherry
- 3 scoops crushed ice
- Mixing glass
- Collins glass or stemless wine glass
- Pineapple slice or cherry for garnish