Feeling fed up with chilly frosty winter weather? Warm yourself down to the bones with a delectable serving of the Italian Sunrise cocktail. This fruity, gin-based or vodka-based number is one hell of a spirit lifter and looks as beautiful as the name suggests it would. Cocktail lovers claim to feel transported to Italy when sipping on this popular favourite, with its flavours reminding one of a warm summer’s afternoon in Sicily.
Although the cocktail does not boast of the same rock-and-roll history as the similarly named Tequila Sunrise does, it is in no way any less adored by those who have tried both. Not only are the names of the two cocktails similar, they share some common ingredients as well, except that the Italian Sunrise is the tropical version of the Tequila Sunrise, and is also accordingly sweeter and fruitier. The orange juice lends a sweet-and-sour touch, along with the Campari tinging the edge of the drink with a deep red, akin to a blood red skyline at the break of dawn.
So while rock-and-roll lovers and crazy party goes indulge in the Tequila variation, those who want to relax and dream of summery days spent in exotic Italian cities can sit back and take a few sips of the cocktail and allow it to drift them away.
Here is the classic recipe for the famous Italian Sunrise Cocktail.
- 30 ml Vodka
- 30 ml Limoncello
- 60 ml Orange juice
- 10 ml Campari
- Fill a Collins or Highball glass with ice
- Add the Vodka to the glass, followed by the limoncello.
- Add enough orange juice that it comes to almost the top of the glass
- Then gently pour the Campari so that it sinks to the bottom
- Do not stir the mixture before serving
- Garnish with a circularly cut slice of orange
- Highball or Collins glass
- Slice of orange for garnish