Like its sister drink, the Flaming Lamborghini, this cocktail is made to be set on fire and drunk in one go. It has a lot more punch than the Lamborghini cocktail recipe, however, and consistently appears on various lists of things like “The World’s Most Dangerous Cocktails.”
There are several different versions of the Flaming Ferrari, which can basically be divided into “simple” and “a lot more fun”. We’ll describe the simple one, and then give you the full recipe for an authentic Flaming Ferrari below.
Basically, you can just pour a triple measure of white rum and a triple measure of dark rum into a Martini glass and set it alight. While you’re busy trying desperately to swallow it all down through a straw, your mate gets to chuck another double of curacao on top and watch your eyebrows melt in the big blue flame.
Yeah. Better off following the recipe below for a drink that looks lovely, burns beautifully, but will still make you wish you’d got out of the Ferrari before the petrol tank exploded.
You have been warned.
- Pour the Grenadine into the bottom of a Martini glass.
- Add the Galliano, poured over the back of a spoon.
- Layer on the Sambuca, poured over the back of a spoon.
- Carefully add the final layer of Green Chartreuse, again using a spoon to stop the layers from mixing.
- Place the Grand Marnier in a shot glass alongside the Martini glass.
- Place the Dark Rum in a shot glass alongside the Martini glass.
- Carefully set the contents of the Martini glass alight and begin drinking the contents through a double straw.
- Have a friend pour in the two side-shots as the level of the Martini glass starts to go down.
- Do your best to finish the drink.