We are all familiar with hot chocolate, the sweet and savory concoction that is normally associated with holidays, specifically Christmas. In fact, although millions of people around the world consume the sweet drink for pleasure, as a kind of “dessert” in a glass, there are studies that indicate that it could even be healthy, and contain beneficial antioxidants that could prevent cancer. Hot chocolate, usually made with cocoa powder and heated milk, could even be made with melted chocolate, for a thicker consistency. Believe it or not, hot chocolate is quite the tradition, as it is estimated that Mayans drank chocolate drinks as far back as 2500 to 3000 years ago.
Of course, it only follows that a delicious drink like hot chocolate would have an “adult” variant, with some alcohol in it. After all, with such a sweet beverage, there’s no reason why there shouldn’t be someone to spike it for a fun drink, right?
- 1 quart milk
- 6 ounces chopped chocolate
- 9 ounces peppermint schnapps
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate syrup
- 1 cup of chocolate chips (optional)
- Chocolate liqueur
- Put the saucepan on medium heat, and add the chocolate (and chocolate chips, if you like).
- Once the chocolate melts, add the milk and liqueur, while stirring with a whisk.
- Bring it to a low boil, stir, and pour the hot chocolate into cups.
- Add the peppermint schnapps into the cups and stir.
- Add whipped cream and chocolate syrup.
- Pot or saucepan
Of course, you can choose just how sweet you would like your adult hot chocolate by adjusting the amount of chocolate, whipped cream, or chocolate syrup. In addition, one way to spruce up the drink is to hang a mini candy cane on the side of the cup. Stay warm through the winter by sipping on some adult hot chocolate!